Monday 30 January 2012

Australian Open predictions - how did I do?

Victoria Azarenka
Two weeks ago, I published my predictions for the first Grand Slam of the year in Australia - so, how did I do? I had a pretty good week in predicting the womens tournament as I successfully tipped Victoria Azarenka to win from the start (see original predictions here).  I was also correct in predicting that Serena Williams would exit in the 4th round and that Kim Clijsters would fall in the semi-finals.  However I completely got caught up on the Kaia Kanepi bandwagon who I predicted to reach the semi-finals.  Kanepi was knocked out in the second round to Serena's eventual conqueror, Ekaterina Makarova.  I was also adamant that Maria Sharapova would not be a threat at all having played no competitive matches in 2012... after reaching the Australian Open final, I will not underestimate her again.

In the mens draw, I got most things wrong in the first week (see my original predictions here). I did manage to correctly predict Novak Djokovic to win from the start, but it was slightly tainted when I went for Rafael Nadal to beat Djokovic in the final! Like in the womens with Sharapova, I did not think Nadal would have a great week, but he proved me wrong with a stunning run to the final.  I did manage to correctly predict that Andy Murray would reach the semi-finals.  This was my biggest struggle in deciding whether Murray or Jo-Wilfried Tsonga would reach the semi-finals; however Murray's job was left easier following Tsonga's 4th round exit to Kei Nishikori.

I have really enjoyed blogging for the past two weeks and to anyone who has read it, I hope you have liked it too :-) I will be taking a week off from my blog as I start my new job this week and let the dust settle from an exciting Australian Open.  I hope to be back next weekend with some previews as the women head to Paris and Pattaya City...

No comments:

Post a Comment